After 1824, when the Sac and Fox Tribes signed a treaty with the U.S. Government, a portion of land called the "Half-Breed Tract" was settled by the expanding U.S. population. The first school was opened in this tract of land in Galland, Lee County, Iowa. It is difficult to know what to call the early schools in Iowa, for many were built as multi-purpose buildings; serving as schoolhouse, church, and court house for the town. Before the schools were funded by taxes, many towns financed their schools by subscription. In 1858, the Township School System was created by Iowa Law. This Bureau of Education Circular also describes several other interesting Iowa Laws that pertained to education. In 1876, women county superintendents became a possibility when the legislature passed a law that no one would be ineligible for any school office by reason of sex. In 1886, a law was passed that mandated physiology and hygiene instruction, including the effects of alcohol, stimulants, and narcotics.