This book, published in 1951 to mark the 75th anniversary of the founding of what is now the University of Northern Iowa, is "a history of ideas fundamental to the development of the Iowa State Normal School (1876-1909) and the Iowa State Teachers College (1909-1951)". The author, Irving H. Hart, served on the staff of the Teachers College for 44 years. He joined the ISTC staff in 1914 as a professor and assistant director of the ISTC extension division. Mr. Hart served as director of the extension service from 1918-1948. He then gained emeritus status and acted as the ISTC archivist and historian until his death in 1958. Additional information about the author can be found in an essay at Rod Library's Special Collections and Archives unit.