During World War II, the Iowa State Teachers'
College provided housing, facilities, and training for units of the U.S. Navy
and the Army Air Corps. After the 1942 Fall term, the women housed in Bartlett Hall
moved to the newly-completed Lawther Hall to make room for approximately 1,000 WAVES.
The WAVES remained on campus until May 1945.
The IOWAVE booklet contains mainly photos, but also includes an essay The Navy at Cedar Falls 1942-45. The January 1943 issue of the Alumnus publication highlights the WAVES, as well as The
Hobo Day (cut day) and Dance with "jiving".
The IOWAVE magazine focused on the activities of the WAVES who were being trained at the Naval Training
School temporarily located on campus, and the IOWAVE newspaper included many articles regarding the day-to-day life of the WAVES trainees, as well as
articles chronicling the ongoing progress of the war effort.
The WAVES photos displayed in this collection show
the trainees engaged in a variety of activities, including marching on campus, getting a haircut, eating in the "mess hall", and
For more information about the WAVES at UNI see the
Bartlett Hall essay of the
Special Collections and University Archives unit.